Sports Coaching in Ghana
Become a sports coach and inspire kids in Africa
Book now for €56
See all reviews
Group Size: Avg. 5-15
Trip code: GHSC
Duration: 2-12 weeks
Go sports-mad in Ghana and take on the role of a lifetime as you become a sports coach and pass on your sports passion to kids in Africa. You can choose from a wide range of sports on offer so you can coach your favourite sport while exploring Ghana and having amazing African adventures. Coach feet-first on the football pitch, hand over hockey tips, take on a rugby-coaching role, try out tennis skills, and much more! You also get the chance to train alongside some of Ghana’s best teams yourself. Explore Ghana in your free time; see wonderful waterfalls, laze on beautiful beaches, discover lush jungles and spot incredible animals in the National Parks as well as trying fun activities. Inspire the international sporting stars of the future and discover unexplored Africa in gorgeous Ghana!
- Take up the challenge as a sports coach and inspire kids with your passion for sport.
- Get to play your favourite sports and maybe even train with some top teams!
- Make friends with exciting like-minded people at your volunteer house
- Relax and explore Ghana in your spare time: Head to the nearby beach, go game viewing, head to the jungle for a canopy walk or trek through the Kakum rainforest.
- Discover Ghana’s heritage and explore ancient buildings and Ghana’s cultural charms.
The sports coaching placements start on Saturdays through out the year. You will have a full orientation and introduction before you begin coaching, which will set out your individual placement itinerary depending on the sport you have chosen.
When you arrive at the project you’ll spend a couple of days getting to know your fellow sports coaches and the other volunteers. You’ll get a full introduction to Ghana and learn more about your chosen placement and your duties as a coach. You’ll have a city tour of Accra, visit a vibrant local market and be initiated in everything you need to know about the local culture. Then kick back and relax a trip to some local bars with your fellow coaches! It’s a sociable start that will set you up for the rest of your exciting stay in Ghana.
There are a whole host of exhilarating sports you can coach in Ghana, from showing off your footwork on the football field to bouncing your way across the basketball court. With such a wide range of sports on offer you can pick and choose your favourite pastime and pass on your top tips to kids on this coaching challenge.
Generally, your sports coaching duties will require 4-6 hours commitment per day during weekdays, with weekends off to relax and explore Ghana.
You can choose to volunteer with the following sports, depending on availability:
- Football Coaching. Your role will involve running and supervising training sessions and coming up with new and inspiring ideas about how to get the best out of your team. Depending on your level of experience you’ll be working with younger kids in the U13, U15 or U17 age groups.
- Hockey Coaching. Hockey is increasingly popular in Ghana and is now played in most of Accra’s schools. As a hockey coach, you’ll get hands-on assisting local coaches in clubs and junior schools in Accra, and you’ll be able to hand over your hockey knowledge to the next generation of Ghanaian kids.
- Netball Coaching. Your role will include coaching netball at schools and clubs in Accra, focusing on the 10-15 year age group, of varying abilities. You will be able to come up with exciting training ideas and organise tournaments to give your team a chance to shine.
- Rugby Coaching. You’ll be working with 12-16 year olds during school lessons and in after-school clubs for keener players. You need to have a good understanding of rugby so you can explain the rugby rules to beginners. By spotting new talent you can help the rugby club to develop promising new players to the next level and get them to the peak of their game.
Other available sports include tennis, boxing, basketball, cricket and golf!
Ghana is such a wonderfully welcoming and friendly country, your free time is all about having fun and amazing African adventures as you explore the best Ghana has to offer. While your sports coaching placement is a top priority, the programme is arranged to give great provision for time off and travel in Ghana.
Across the country there are amazing places just waiting to be explored, including Lake Volta, the stunning Wli waterfalls, the Boabeng-Fiema Monkey Sanctuary or one of the wildlife safaris at the incredible National Parks. Relax under the palm trees on beautiful beaches and be enlightened by the inspiring energy of gorgeous Ghana.
Please note during the month of August the schools are on holiday so therefore normal lessons do not go ahead, however we do offer a recess programme which we run throughout August, which gives the volunteers a opportunity to teach.
The prices will load here automatically, if this does not happen for you: Click here to view Prices
The sports coaching placement begins every Saturday throughout the year. You will need to arrive at Kotoka International Airport in Accra on your agreed placement start date, where you will be met at the arrival gate and transferred to your accommodation, which is located about half an hour’s drive from the airport.
You will be staying in a shared volunteer house, where you will get to meet and mix with other volunteers. Located in a pleasant suburb of Accra, the house is basic but comfortable, and can accommodate up to 40 people. Rooms are single sex dorm share basis with between 2-10 people per room. All rooms have fans and there is staff on site 24/7. The communal living room is a great social space, which has satellite TV and table tennis. The house does not have wifi, but local sim cards with data packages can be also be bought very cheaply locally (for around 15p for a SIM card and 90p for a GB of data) and there are local internet cafes that can also be used.
There is also an outside space with seating where you can soak up the year-round sunshine! It’s the ideal environment to easily make new friends and have fun during your downtime, and there are plenty of opportunities for group outings and planned trips too.
There are shops, bars and restaurants near the house so you can buy tasty snacks and relax with a drink in the sun. Street vendors sell fruit on the roadside, and you'll interact with local people going about their daily lives.
You are responsible for your own transport to and from your placement, and there is easy access to several modes of transport. Staff will advise you on the best methods of travel. The main centre for this programme is a 20-40 minute taxi ride from the volunteer accommodation.
There is a taxi rank outside the house so you can hop in a cab and head off to explore. The volunteer house is ideally located only a ten-minute drive from a beautiful beach where you can soak up some serious sunshine in your leisure time!
Three meals a day are provided. These inclusive meals will be a mix of traditional Ghanaian and western food. There is a cook in the house who will prepare meals for you, but there is also access to a kitchen where you can make something for yourself whenever you fancy it. Drinking water is available at the house, but outside of the accommodation it is recommended that you only buy bottled water. Other drinks are at your own expense, but there are plenty of nearby shops and bars. Snacks are at your own expense.
A typical day at your shared accommodation offers fixed mealtimes, with all meals included.
• Breakfast will be served from 6:30-8:30.
• Lunch will be served from 12:50- 13:50.
• Dinner will be served from 17:00- 18:30
A typical breakfast consists of bread, porridge and hot chocolate. Lunch is a mixture of sandwiches, wraps, pasta, salads and traditional Ghanaian dishes. Dinner ingredients include rice, chicken, beef, fish, beans, and also includes traditional Ghanaian meals. Vegetarians can be catered for but it is not possible to cater for other dietary requirements.
On average, we recommend you allow a budget of around £50-70 per week during your stay in Ghana. There will also be opportunities to take part in optional trips away on some weekends while you are in Ghana, and if you wish to participate in these extra trips you should budget around £100 per trip.
Minimum age for this coaching placement is 18 years.
British travellers to Ghana will need a 3-month visa to enter Ghana. You are required to arrange for your own visa before departure. This can be applied for online and you will need a 3-month tourist visa.
Please note: When you arrive in Ghana, you will get a 60 day entry stamp at immigration. If you are staying for longer than 60 days you will need to extend your entry permit for a small fee. You will need to provide a passport photo. The local team will help you with this.
You will need to be vaccinated against Yellow Fever before travel into Ghana and present a certificate to confirm this on arrival. Speak to your GP for up to date health advice and information about vaccinations before you travel.
On this particular programme, as you’ll be working with children, you’ll need to undergo an enhanced DBS previously known as CRB, or Criminal Record Bureau check and will need to have a clean criminal record.
DBS checks may list past convictions, cautions, reprimands, warnings, and if applicable will show whether or not you have been barred from working with certain vulnerable groups. Non-conviction information such as fixed penalties may also be included.
There is an addition cost for the DBS check, please speak to your travel advisor at the time of booking. The DBS process is in 3 stages:
1. Once we receive your booking payment, you will then be sent an online application link for the DBS check, which you will need to complete.
2. Once you have completed the application, the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) will need verification of your identity - to do this you will need to take 3 original documents to your nearest crown post office and use their DBS and ID verification service. This costs approximately £5 and is payable directly to the Post Office.
3. Once the post office verification is done it usually takes up to 2 weeks for your DBS to be processed, and your DBS will be sent to you directly in the post.