Absolute Melbourne Jobs
Fun week and job support in Melbourne!
Book now for €60
See all reviews
Group Size: Max group size 24
Trip code: MLPW
Duration: Up to 12 months
Jet over to sunny Australia and discover the incredible city of Melbourne. This funky Aussie destination is an awesome place to live and work, and this package will show you the very best this city has to offer. With included food tours and days out, as well as a 2-day beach escape on beautiful Phillip Island, you’ll soon fall in love with this stunning part of the world. Plus, you’ll be set up with everything you need for life Down Under, including a bank account, tax-number, SIM Card and a 1-on-1 advice session with the local travel team. It’s the perfect way to kick off an unforgettable working holiday adventure!
- Get to know Melbourne with exclusive food tours and days out
- Enjoy a 2-day beach escape on Phillip Island and Mornington Penninsula, with surf lessons, wine tasting and wildlife encounters
- See kangaroos, koalas and penguins!
- Get set up with everything you need for life in Oz, including a bank account, tax number, and more!
- Enjoy bespoke employment and travelling support that is tailored to you!
Melbourne is an epic place to live. Packed with edgy bars, coffee culture, and internationally-renowned eateries, there is always something new to discover in this treasure trove of a city. This artsy side is coupled with everything Australia does best, including breath-taking golden beaches and a sunny city skyline. This package will introduce you to this incredible city and set you up with everything you need to live and work here. Awesome!
8-day Intro Week
Day 1: Welcome to Melbourne! Arrive into Melbourne today and get set for the best 8 days of your life! You’ll be met at the airport by a member of the local team and transferred to your accommodation in the city. Want to arrive a few days early? No problem! Your airport pickup will still be included and we can help you organise extra accommodation before your intro week begins.
Day 2: Welcome Meeting and City Tour. Your week of adventures kicks off this morning! After a morning welcome meeting, you’ll venture into the city on a walking tour with your group. Tonight, enjoy an included welcome dinner on the banks of the Yarra River. Dinner and drink included.
Day 3: Street Art & Food Tour and Aboriginal excursion. There’s only one way to get a true flavour of Melbourne – by sampling its delicious culinary delights! Kick off the day in Queen Victoria Market, the Southern Hemisphere’s largest under-cover market. You’ll then embark on an exclusive food and street art tour that’ll show you the top foodie hotspots in Melbourne. Today you will also learn about Australia's indigenous people with an Aboriginal Heritage Walk through the Botanical Gardens. Dinner, snacks/tasters and 2 drinks included.
Day 4: Beaches, Islands and Wine Tasting! After a morning stroll, you’ll discover the golden sands and vast blue waters of Mornington Peninsula and Phillip Island. You’ll then enjoy a group wine tasting session, where you’ll sample some of Australia’s most delicious wines. With a belly full of wine, you’ll round off the day watching 500 tiny penguins rushing back and forth across the beach, before settling into your island accommodation. What a day!
Day 5: Surf and Meet Kangaroos! Try your hand at an iconic Aussie pastime! Grab a board and learn how to ride the waves like a pro. Next up, you’ll meet some legendary Australian critters. Get up close to some beautiful kangaroos and koalas and grab some pictures with your new furry mates! Lunch included. Please note: In the winter months, surfing may be replaced with kayaking or mountain biking.
Day 6: Out into the Suburbs. Venture into the city’s celebrated suburbs. St Kilda is probably the most famous, with its colourful buildings, swaying palm trees and beautiful beaches. Spend the day strolling around the promenade and grabbing a coffee in one of the cool alfresco cafes. This afternoon, you can laze on the beach, try your hand at paddleboarding, or opt to go skydiving! (extra cost). Please note: In the winter months, you will spend the afternoon in the Botanical Gardens and the Eureka Skydeck rather than on the beach.
Day 7: Get Job Ready! Your intro week is almost at an end, so it’s time to sort out all the things you’ll need for life in Australia. After a group session in the morning, you’ll receive a special one-on-one appointment that is tailored to you. Get advice on travel, work and life in Australia. Tonight, unwind with a few beers and a pizza before heading out on an epic Melbourne bar crawl. 4 drinks and pizza dinner included.
Day 8: Farewell Beers and BBQ. Your intro week has come to an end! Spend the morning relaxing and recovering from last night. This afternoon, enjoy a few beers and a BBQ on a rooftop and relive all the epic memories of the last week. Dinner and drink included.
And the adventure has only just begun! Now it’s time to kick start your job hunt or explore more of Australia.
Life Down Under
As well as all the activities in your intro week, you’ll also be provided with everything you need for life in Melbourne. This package really does take all the stress out of moving abroad.
The package includes:
- An Australian SIM card. You’ll be provided with a SIM card so that you can make and receive calls in Australia. Perfect for organising job interviews and keeping in touch with your new friends! Just remember to unlock your phone before you arrive.
- A Bank Account. You’ll get help setting up a bank account so that you can start earning and spending money.
- A Tax File Number. Vital if you want to work in Australia. Sorting a tax file number out can be complicated, but you’ll be helped every step of the way.
- Hostel Membership. You’ll be given a 12-month hostel membership which will score you hostel discounts all across Australia.
- Employment Presentation: On day 7, the local team will deliver a presentation that covers the main areas of life and work in Australia including: Rules of work and taxation, 2nd year visa extensions info, and CV and interview tips.
- Employment Information: During your meeting, you will receive detailed information packs that detail all the things covered in the presentation, plus a Rural Work Guidebook that features everything you need to know about rural work, including contact details for checked and approved rural employers.
- Personal Jobs Meeting. After your presentation, you will have a personal meeting with a jobs advisor where you can ask questions and receive bespoke jobs advice.
- Jobs Database: You will be connected to a jobs database that lists specialist jobs recruiters, working holiday visa employers and a Melbourne-based hospitality and labour firm’s vacancies.
- Working Community: You will be added to an online network of employers and working holiday job hunters. You can connect with local job opportunities on an exclusive Facebook group, plus you will be added to a WhatsApp Group with everyone in your week 1 group and your guide, where you can share opportunities and jobs tips.
- Employment Courses. You can opt to enrol in Barista Courses, RSA, RSG and White Card Courses to boost your employment opportunities.
Types of Jobs Available
There are a huge range of working opportunities across a range of employment sectors including:
- Labour Jobs
- Rural World
- Customer Service
Wages vary, but you can expect to earn somewhere between £10 and £15 an hour!
2nd and 3rd Year Working Holiday Visas
If you wish to stay and work in Australia for an additional year after your first visa expires then you just need to do 88 days of specified regional work during your first year in Australia. This programme can help you apply for regional jobs which would qualify you for the 2nd year visa!
Furthermore, if you qualify for a 2nd year working holiday visa and then spend 6 months during your second year doing regional work, you can also apply for a 3rd year working holiday visa too!
Ask a travel advisor for further details.
The prices will load here automatically, if this does not happen for you: Click here to view Prices
Your trip begins on day 1, which is always a Sunday. You should fly into Melbourne Airport where you will be met and transferred to your accommodation. Transfers are available at any time of day. If you wish to arrive a few days before the start date you are still entitled to an airport pick-up. Extra accommodation will be at your own cost.
7 nights of accommodation are included. You will spend 6 nights in a cool city hostel in North Melbourne. The hostel has free Wi-Fi, a kitchen and a rooftop lounge. You will stay in 8-bed mixed dorms. 1 night will be spent in a gorgeous hostel on Phillip Island, which has a kitchen, a rooftop deck and an on-site café.
If you would like to upgrade to a private room for extra cost we can arrange this for you. Please speak to a travel advisor for further details.
After your first seven nights you will need to organise your own accommodation. Many of our travellers either extend their stay in a hostel or share a flat with the people they meet in their first week. The local team will advise you on accommodation options in the city.
Some meals are included in your first week. Please see the itinerary for more details. You will need to purchase the rest of your meals and drinks yourself. We recommend budgeting around AUD250-450 for meals, drinks and activities during this first week.
The minimum age to join this group trip is 18.
If you are planning to work in Australia, you will need a Working Holiday Visa. To be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- Hold a passport issued by an eligible country or region
- Be aged 18-30 (inclusive) at the time of applying
- Not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during their stay in Australia
- Meet health, character and financial requirements
- Not have previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday visa (unless applying for a second visa)
- Be outside Australia when they apply and when their visa is granted
- Apply within 12 months of intended travel to Australia.
- Have sufficient funds to cover your expected living/trip costs during your stay
- Have funds for a return or onward ticket to depart Australia (or an actual ticket)
- Have health insurance
Gap 360 can apply for your visa as part of your package. Please select + WHV option at the time of booking on the dropdown list when selecting your date of travel.
Visa rules and regulations are subject to change. Please check the relevant embassy websites for up to date information.
This trip is designed with your safety and wellbeing in mind. As a result of Covid-19, many of our suppliers and partners around the world are introducing new policies and procedures surrounding health and safety in response to the Coronavirus outbreak. As the state of travel is evolving these new safety measures will adapt over time, and will be different for each trip. Here are some of the changes you may see on your trip:
Arrival safety meetings
Most trips have an arrival meeting on the first day where the guide or local team will run through the trip, the safety protocols, and to answer any questions you may have. Now more than ever it is important you arrive in time for these meetings.
Proof of vaccination or negative covid test
For the safety of all travellers, at the start of some trips you may be required to show evidence that you are fully vaccinated (14 days after your second dose) and/or show evidence of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of the tour start date in order to join the programme.
Updated hygiene and safety procedures
Our suppliers and partners have health and safety procedures in place on all of our trips. These protocols will be updated and adapted as a response to the Coronavirus outbreak, dependent on local restrictions and laws.
Transport and accommodation choices
Our suppliers and partners choose the accommodation and transport on our trips very carefully, and you may see a change to what would normally be used as a response to the outbreak. This may involve such changes as enhanced use of private transport or quieter accommodation.
Trained and knowledgeable staff
Our staff in the UK are trained to help you with your trip before you depart and answer any questions you may have. In addition, the local team and guides on our trips are there to help with any health and safety concerns and to ensure our trips run safely and smoothly.
Reduced group sizes
Some trips will run with reduced group sizes to start with. You may find that trips are more intimate and chilled, whilst still being packed with fun and adventure.
Your guide or the local team will be on hand to help you seek medical attention should you require it during your trip. As medical facilities and standards can vary around the world, you should ensure you have adequate travel insurance in place before you depart to cover you for any medical emergencies.
24/7 emergency support
We operate an emergency phone line for our travellers abroad. This is operated by a UK based member of staff 24/7 if you have a genuine emergency or urgent matter that you need attending.
It is important that you take measures to make travelling safer for yourself and others around you. Ensure you frequently wash your hands, cover your face when you sneeze and cough, bring and use your own hand sanitiser and facial coverings/masks, and enable social distancing where necessary. You should also ensure you listen to the instructions and guidance of the local team at all times, and follow all local laws and restrictions.